Skip to Content

Owners FAQ

I’m moving. Will my HAP check be forwarded to my new address? Our checks are not forwarded. If you need your check sent to a new address, you must request the change in writing. In order to protect you, we will only change addresses on the check from a written request. On this website you can download an Owner’s Change Form.

Can you send my rent check to my bank? Our agency will send an Owner’s payment directly to their bank (Direct Deposit). On this website, you can download the Request for Direct Deposit. Please note that if you have more than one tenant, you will need to keep track of the individual tenant amounts due to lump sum payment. The agency does have a website where an Owner receiving direct deposits for more than one tenant can login a review the details of the payment. Please contact 801.627.5851 ext. 103 for more information. 

The tenant is breaking the lease. When will OHA evict them? The agency doesn’t evict tenants.  If your tenant is breaking the lease, you should take appropriate action (three day to pay or vacate, three day to come in compliance with the lease, etc.) and send a copy to OHA. We will counsel the tenant regarding the compliant to include their responsibilities to remain in good standing on the program – which may or may not help. You may still have to take legal action if the problem persist. 

I have a vacant unit. Can you send me a good tenant? The agency can list your unit in our Available Unit Book, but we are not allowed to refer or direct tenants to your specific unit. In addition, we can tell you the prior landlords to help you screen your tenants, but we cannot tell you if the tenant is “good’ or “bad”.

How can I put my rental unit on your program? Quite often Owner’s call our agency and want to put their unit directly on our voucher program. The only way a unit can become subsidized under the Voucher Program is for a tenant to approach the owner and want to rent the unit. We have no ability to provide direct subsidy to Owner’s on the Housing Choice Voucher Program.

An Owner may list their unit in our Available Unit Book for potential Section 8 tenants.

Can I rent to a member of my family?  HUD regulations do not allow a family member to rent to another family member if the owner is the parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister, or brother of any member of the family, unless the Housing Authority determines that approving the unit would provide reasonable accommodation for a family member who is a person with disabilities.

REMEMBER: You may only collect the total amount of rent per the contract or contract amendment. Accepting additional payments of rent or having the tenant pay for the utilities or having the tenant do side work when the owner is responsible is a violation of the contract and considered federal fraud.